Voters came out in record numbers this past Tuesday to cast their vote in arguably the one of the most historic, contentious, and wildest elections in years! We’ve seen all kinds of crazy posted on Facebook and Twitter, printed in our newspapers, and on TV. It got so that we were arguing over everything!
- Marney the Dog or Hamilton the Pug
- Snickers or Kit Kat
- Paper or Plastic
- Country Music or Alternative Rock (Ok, maybe that’s just at my house)
But now we challenge you to get away from all the election backlash and do something that we all can agree on: take some time this Veteran’s Day (Friday, Nov 11) to honor our Veterans who have fought to defend our land of the free and home of the brave.
Here are some suggestions of things to do:
- Go to Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks and enjoy the fresh air, beautiful views and of course the giant sequoias. In honor of Veterans Day, everyone gets in fee FREE on Friday.
- Watch the Visalia Veterans Day Parade: Saturday, Nov 12 at 10am. Starts at Garden St Plaza on Main Street
- Drive The Caldwell Avenue of Heroes and see over 120 banners hanging along the roadside honoring those from Visalia currently serving in the military (By the Brave Project) Along Caldwell and Akers St.
- Check out the murals around Visalia that honor our veterans. They are all FREE to look at. Here are the locations of a few: at Mooney Grove Park, at the Visalia Convention Center (Eucalyptus Courtyard), at Main St at Willis
- Shake the hand of a vet and thank them for their service, treat a vet to a meal, or other acts of kindness
Have a great weekend. And to all our Veterans, thank you for your service.