Visalia knows how to do holidays. Period. And each season just gets better and better. Our community is so festive and the downtown area is always finding ways for the locals to celebrate the season. The annual Candy Cane Lane Parade kicks off the holiday festivities every year on the Monday following Thanksgiving. Then, every Thursday leading up to Christmas, the downtown merchants stay open late and patrons are transported to a winter wonderland (minus the chilly snow!). Here’s a preview of what’s going on this year. Don’t miss out, you’ll be sorry if you do!
Candy Cane Lane Parade: November 26th at 7:oopm
For the past 67 years, Visalians have been grabbing their blankets and hot chocolate and finding the best seat possible on the sidewalks of downtown to watch the annual parade. The parade is full of dance troops, school bands, and of course, parade floats that participants work hard to decorate. Santa Clause brings up the rear in his sleigh, signaling the end of the parade and wishing everyone a happy holiday season.
Downtown Holiday Open House: November 29th and December 6th, 13th, and 20th
Downtown merchants stay open late (until 8:00pm) for the Holiday Open House so you can shop for the holidays. Enjoy a meal at one of the many downtown restaurants, then walk up and down Main Street, visiting the locals boutiques and specialty stores. But that’s not all! Look at what else is happening!
- Musicians strolling up and down the street playing holiday music
- Horse drawn carriage rides for just $5 (up to 4 people per ride)
- Photos with Santa for $5
- Food and appetizers at participating merchants on November 29th
- 101 Dalmations movie viewing at the Fox Theatre on November 29th at 5:30pm. Tickets are $3 and can be purchased at any of the participating downtown merchants. This won’t be your typical movie night though. Before the movie, there will be a live performance by some very familiar downtown faces! At 5:15pm, Cruella Deville (played by Marlene Sciacca) will arrive at the theatre in a stretch limo. The 10 minute performance will include Patch the Dalmation (Sam Sciacca), a Keystone police officer (Scotty Schuman, Visalia’s very own downtown security officer), Dalmations puppies (Chet Sciacca and Jeremy Engle), and who could forget, Santa Clause (portrayed by Santa Clause himself!) The Redwood High School band, directed by famous conductor, Dennis Bettencourt, will be ringing in the sounds of Christmas when Cruella arrives!
- NEW THIS YEAR! Fire twirling group, Tamed Fire, will be tossing their fire batons and wowing the crowds! The shows start at 7:30pm on Encina Street, November 29th, and December 6th and 13th! Check out their Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/TamedFire
- And no holiday season would be complete without lights! The trees lining Main Street will be decorated with lights to illuminate the streets to make your evenings downtown just a little brighter!
We’re sure this won’t be all of the festivities that Visalia will have this holiday season. Stay tuned for even more adventures and things to do in the coming weeks. We’ll give you a preview of what’s on our Winter Bucket List! Until then, visit our Facebook page and tell us what your favorite winter activity is! www.Facebook.com/VisitVisalia
**Photo Credits go to Downtown Visalians and Tamed Fire!**